Tuesday, October 21, 2008

repairs

So today I met Gary. Gary is the owner and lead repairman of Espressofix. One of the most pleasant and knowledgeable people that I have met in person in the coffee world; albeit I am fairly green in this this "world".

Our Astoria double head machine was, for the pleasantries of understating, in dire need of attention. The back flush button casing had broken and was hanging on by a "string". A couple of our grinders had more or less stopped working. And the group heads on the machines were starting to leak a little bit. He took care of it all, and the whole time that he was working he was explaining everything that he was doing, teaching me how to do each thing. It was the single most instructive two hours I have experienced in hands on training in the coffee world since my inception into this business. Awesome!!!

So with all of that we have a the Sweetwater Festival coming up in Milledgeville this weekend. We have some serious business ahead of us, we have in the past made a week's worth of income in one day. Busy is entirely an understatement. But I honestly can't wait and listening to the bartenders complain to me about the amount of work they'll have to do around that time is rather entertaining.

I have also been in contact with M'lissa Muckerman now for about a month just conversing over coffee and learning new things. I love coming in contact with people that know more than I do, that are also willing to share, with patience, their knowledge and to encourage the growth of willing listeners. I've also been reading about and studying the works of the late Dr. Ernesto Illy. If you care at all about coffee knowledge history and what has gotten us to where we are now, read all you can of this man.

thats that for now.
g'night, - Chris

No comments: