Tuesday, June 2, 2009

the 20/20 over my shoulder

Undoubtedly I have neglected this little clipboard of my thoughts for the better part of the last few months. Funny how we can start things off with such vigor and zeal and then along the way forget the location of the logs that keep the fire going....

I recently discovered just how much grace I have been given by bosses of the course of the past year. Blackbird can be a Thanksgiving Day plate of food.....every single day, but then again what other management role isn't?

When I came back I thought I had a big "S" on my chest and a bright red cape on my back. I didn't realize the hard work that my bosses had been putting into their coffee shop, I completely missed that. This is a tough industry to introduce into an unknowing market, and they had not given up, rather they were getting a little weary, I was the rookie just up from the minors, that they were placing trust in. I walked out onto the field and fumbled around like I'd never played before, did some things right, and ultimately came out average. The greatest part of this is that my bosses didn't give up, they put me in my place, and even though we don't exactly agree on everything, things have started improving. Seeing their appetite for success, specific success, helped me see what I could and still can learn.

This post is a is in complete apology and gratitude towards Jimmy and Iona. I am a barista because of the shop that you were a part of starting and have found an industry I want to be a part of for the rest of my life because of the shop that you now run, with a little help.

Also, this is not a sad post, quite the opposite. I just felt as though these things needed to be said.

I look forward to the future of Blackbird coffee, and what I will do with what I learn from this experience, no matter what that means. Thanks, both of you.

Peace, love, and coffee,
Chris

No comments: